Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Meal Plan | Week of 11-27-13 & 12-1-13

South Coast Farms CSA Fall Basket
I must confess I've been MIA for the last month as I was celebrating a milestone birthday and, unfortunately and unrelated, I have been experiencing more-than-the-usual migraines (read, sleeping 10-12+ hours a day to cope). 

Now that I'm back in the groove of the daily grind, I'm feeling extra motivated to empty my overly-stocked fridge full of organic CSA produce and items from my usual grocery runs.

To make up for it, here are meal plan for two weeks.

Veggies
  • Swiss chard (green & red) 
  • Baby turnips
  • Celery
  • Lacinato Kale
  • Onion 
  • Cauliflower
  • Zucchini
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Eggplants Sadly, they've been neglected and will probably go to waste for the 2nd or 3rd time in a row. My husband and I aren't too fond of eggplants, so I must make an effort to barter theses in the CSA trade in box in the future. If not, caponata, anyone?
Starches
  • Roasting potatoes
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Idaho potatoes
Squashes
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Butternut squash Channeling Rachel Ray, I now dub this "BNS"
Proteins
  • Turkey leftovers
  • Cornish game hen
  • Ground turkey
  • Beef roast
  • Bacon
Fruits
  • Oranges
  • Lemons
  • Apples
  • Persimmons - Fuyu & Hachiya
  • Kiwi
  • Pomegranates
For Salads
  • Lettuces (red leaf, green leaf, and romaine)
  • Radish
  • Tomatoes

Week of 11-27-13

Saturday Celebrating Sue's birthday at Downtown Disney
Shrimp & Grits
Sunday
Monday
  • Korean Bone Broth Soup with rice & radish kimchi from Young Dong to-go (Buena Park)
Tuesday
  • Impromptu date night at Bruno's (Brea) 
    • Appetizers: Prosciutto e Persimmon Salad; Insalata Tre Colori; Beef Carpaccio
    • Entrées: Linguini Frutti di Mare with gluten-free penne; Bistecca ‘Flat Iron’ with polenta
    • Desserts: Budino al Caramello; Panna Cotta
Dining at Bruno's

Wednesday
  • Thanksgiving Dinner with the In-Laws
Thursday My first gluten-free holiday

Thanksgiving Lunch
    • Gluten-free & vegan prix fix at Shojin (Culver City) with bf Jen and her vegan cousin, Annie
Shojin Fall Luncheon
Thanksgiving Dinner
    • Turkey Meal from Whole Foods (10-12 lb. turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, & cranberry sauce) *not gluten-free
    • My Contributions
      • Roasted cauliflower with lemon juice & fennel seeds
      • Roasted zucchini with Herbs de Provence
      • Roasted butternut squash with cinnamon & nutmeg
      • Slow Cooker Poached Pears inspired by this recipe
    • My Aunt's Items
      • Homemade root chips featuring beets, purple sweet potatoes, & yams
      • Fried calamari
      • Connie's signature stuffed peppers
    • Gluten-free & vegan Pumpkin Pie from Whole Foods Man, do I wish I could have the real thing!
Thanksgiving Family Dinner

Friday
  • Grilled Shrimp Vermicelli from Pho House to-go
Saturday


Week of 12-1-13


Sunday
Monday
  • Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Tuesday
Wednesday
  • Dine out with Hubby
Thursday
  • Loaded baked potato with steamed broccoli
  • Simple salad 
Friday Our friend, Esther, is visiting us
  • Arugula salad with persimmons & prosciutto in lemon vinaigrette inspired by a dish from Bruno's (Brea, CA)
  • Entrée TBD 
  • Gluten-free Apple Pie Prep pie crust the night before
Saturday
---

Breakfast Options:
  • Organic Greek yogurt with pomegranate and raw honey
  • Gluten-free oatmeal with nuts & goji berries
  • Omelet with onions & peppers
  • Roasted sweet potatoes
  • Banana smoothie
  • Fried bacon
Drinks:
  • Spa water with orange slices, a rosemary sprig, & cinnamon stick
  • Fresh kiwi juice
  • Fresh almond milk made with almonds & coconut water (optional: flavor with vanilla extra, cinnamon, agave)
On the Horizon:

I hope you enjoy my meal plan.

Did you make any interesting alternatives for Thanksgiving dinner? Please comment below to share. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: