|Asian Pickles in Mason Jars|
I am a fan of all things acidic, tart, and vinegary. This quick pickled Asian Salad is a great compliment to this hearty, salty Asian Braised Pork Shoulder dish.
For the Salad
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 hothouse cucumber, sliced thinly, preferably on a mandoline
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and sliced into thin half-moons, preferably on a mandoline
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
I doubled the recipe and loosely packed into (5) one-quart jars.
- In a large bowl combine the carrots, cucumbers and daikon.
- In a small jar or container with a lid, combine the ingredients for dressing. Shake well and let sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve and the flavors to marry.
- Toss the cucumber-daikon mixture with the vinaigrette and let sit outside the fridge for an hour before serving. Sprinkle with the scallions.
Tip: How to Julienne Carrots
The julienne slicer on my mandoline is a bit dull & too large for this recipe. So, I used Burrell's technique where you slice the carrots on a mandoline first. Then, you stack the slices and julienne with a chef's knife.
Source: Recipe from Anne Burrell
Hope you enjoy!