Monday, December 9, 2013

Gluten-Free Potato Gnocchi

Gluten-Free Potato Gnocchi
I am a huge fan of Gordon Ramsay. My friend, Eugene, introduced me to his UK cooking show "Ultimate Cookery Course." 

I stumbled upon Ramsay's recipe for homemade potato gnocchi. In my great fortune, I had most of the ingredients on hand thanks to my CSA box. Below is my gluten-free adaption of this classic Italian pasta dish.

Ingredients

Pasta
  • 2 large russet potatoes, baked*  I used 4 small organic ones
  • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 extra large egg. I used 1.5 large eggs as gluten-free flour needs more moisture. Egg should be at room temp
  • 1 thyme sprig, leaves only
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
*Baked Potatoes: Wash & dry potatoes. Place on baking sheet. Puncture skin with fork to let out steam. Bake at 400 F for about one hour and let cool. I suggest cooking the potatoes the day prior.
Baked Organic Russet Potato
Sauce
  • EVOO
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Peas, fresh, or frozen I omitted as I did not have on hand
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 thyme sprig, leaves only
  • Zest of 1 lemon

Directions

Boil water in a medium sized pot. Season with salt.

Remove potatoes from skin & mash. I used the large holes on my box grater over the mixing bowl. You can also use a ricer,  food mill, fork, or medium-sized sieve. I've read that a traditional masher can over-work the potatoes, making it dense and gummy.
Baked Potatoes
Grated Potatoes
Add ricotta cheese & thyme leaves. Add salt & pepper. Add sifted flour to bowl. Then, make a hole in the center.


Beat egg in a separate bowl. Then, pour into the hole in the bowl. Use a spoon to gently incorporate mixture. 


Using floured hand, transfer dough to a flat surface (I used my marble pastry board from Sur la Table). Lightly knead dough to a ball. Be careful not to overwork the mixture, which can make the pasta dense instead of light & fluffy.
Raw Pasta Dough
Cut dough in half. Roll out the dough into long, cigar shapes. Repeat for 2nd ball.


Taking the back of a floured knife, slice the dough into 1" cubes. 


Then, with a floured finger, gently press the center of each cube to form a little pillow. I think this method is so much more practical than adding grooves with a fork or using fancy equipment


When the pot is at a rolling boil, place a dozen or so gnocchi into the water. Rotate or shimmy the pot a bit for prevent pasta from sticking together. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. When done, they will float to the surface. They should expand in size. 


While the gnocchi is cooking, heat EVOO in a medium non-stick skillet. Drain cooked gnocchi & transfer to the pan. Give the pan a little shake to prevent the pasta from sticking. 

Add pepper. Flip gnocchi over when they are browned and crispy on bottom. Continue to the brown the other side.

Add thyme leaves. Zest the lemon over the gnocchi and add butter. Remove from heat and add freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

Here's a video demo from the Chef, himself.



Do you have a homemade potato gnocchi recipe you'd like to share? Please comment below. 

No comments: