Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Oatmeal Banana Bread

Gluten-free Muffins

The baking bug has officially bitten me for the first time in my life. (My sister, now a pastry chef, was the one who baked while growing up.)

I have been feverishly stocking up my pantry with baking essentials, and have been buying in bulk to save money in the long run.

So, what to do with the excessive amount of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Quick Cooking Oats from Amazon that I have? Oatmeal Banana Bread! I found this recipe on Bob's website.

Here's what I like about this spin on a classic:
  • It has more texture due to the oats
  • The flavor profile is mild as it doesn't have the usual spices like nutmeg and cinnamon
  • Honey is used as a sweetener that gives it a sticky, caramelized exterior
  • And, of course, it's gluten-free!

Recipe

Recipe by Jill Feigned

Ingredients
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt I used fine sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour I used Better Batter, as suggested by Nicole Hunn
2 medium bananas They should be very ripe 
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup honey I used dessert honey from Alien farm
3/4 cup sugar I used a scant 3/4 cup. Next time, I'll do 1/2 cup.
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
Cream butter, sugar. Then, add honey, egg and banana. I don't have a mixer yet, so I did this in my Vitamix
Separately, whisk combine dry ingredients. Sifting is optional, but recommended. 
In large bowl, combine banana mixture and dry ingredients in batches, until just combined. 
Spoon batter into pan using a scoop or large spoon.
 
Bake for 30-32 minutes in greased loaf pan.

 
The original recipe called for 45 minutes in a loaf pan, which I don't own. So, I reduced the baking time to 35 minutes for my muffin pan. My muffins didn't burn, but definitely over-browned. I recommend monitoring starting at 30 minutes to prevent over-baking. 
Gluten-free Muffin
The Finished Product

These oat-y babies were moist, sweet, and satisfying. 



Do you have any favorite recipes using quick oats? Please comment below.

No comments: