Saturday, October 19, 2013

Winder Farms Farm Delivery


When my husband and I visited the Brea farmer's market a couple weeks ago,  we came across the Winder Farms booth for farm delivery service. I was very excited to see produce boxes in their brochure as I'd been thinking about how to supplement my CSA, since it is only offered in my area every other week. This sounded like a great way to supplement the "off" weeks. Note: There are online organic grocers that ship, but it's not the same as local products.

To keep it real, I also thought food delivery would be very convenient, especially on rainy or cold days when I don't want to leave the house.

It will definitely save me time and money. We had been going to Mother's Market in Brea for organic produce every week, which is about 16 miles round trip and an average of 1-1.5 hours, including shopping time.

Winder Farms is delivers Utah, Nevada, and California (Orange County) only. But, there are probably comparable options in your specific county or state.

My friend, Michelle, who has two small children (and expecting twins next year) signed up a few months ago for a milk delivery service. I didn't realize it was the same company until after-the-fact.

I've tried the organic produce box for $25 and liked it. I pay $35 for my CSA box from South Coast farms and get substantially more items, but I still think Winders' is worth it. I might even try the large produce box for $45 (also organic) once to test if we can actually finish that much produce.

Aside from the reasonable produce box prices, however, a lot of their items are marked up. For example, $3.14 for two avocados, $5.95 for dozen organic eggs, and $5.95 for 16 oz. butter. But, there are also plenty of items decently priced. Keep in mind, too, that you are getting much fresher items than some markets.

The benefit of getting a produce box with Winder, is that you pay each time you order it. Unlike CSA where you have to pay unfront for the entire quarter and commit to a set number of deliveries.

I think this is a great option if you are busy (perfect example, mom with children), if organic produce is not available close to you, or if you are convenience-seeker.

THE DEETS

  • $15 registration fee Ours was waived when we signed up
  • $10 minimum order each week
    • You must create a standing order that is a minimum of $10. It's recommeded that you choose something that will be replenished every week (e.g., milk, eggs). But, you can change this as needed. This wasn't explained to us when we signed up
    • You can add items to your weekly delivery
  • Pay $2 delivery charge each week
  • Delivered to your doorstep by 6a in cooler bags
  • Cancelation is $15 if you don't complete 25 deliveries 
  • Order online up to 8p the night before

If you're like to browse their products, click here.

Below is the local rep's info. Please let him know that Jane Kim referred you.
Charles Wilson (909-263-2713) 
I hope you like it like Michelle and I do.

No comments: