Friday, August 2, 2013

Homemade Hot Sauce

Homemade Hot Sauce

Another employee sale from from Frieda's. Thanks, Hanna! The last time my friend let me shop with her friends & family discount, I made some healthy, fresh recipes from the specialty produce.

Hanna dropped off a 10 pound box of Fresno chili peppers. That weighs as much as my dog! What do with them?!


I don't typically use fresh peppers in my cooking. Not because I am against heat; I just don't find the need to use them. For kick, I frequently use crushed red pepper or cayenne.

The peppers were not very fresh (hence the flash sale), so I Googled food blog recipes for applications that would not be successful with semi-fresh ones. 

I came across a recipe for homemade hot sauce. Since, we were grilling meat for dinner, it was the perfect opportunity to multi-task the grill.




Recipe: Homemade Hot Sauce (Credit: Look I Made That)

  • EVOO
  • 1 lb Fresno chiles (about a dozen)
  • 15 TBSP distilled vinegar (slightly less than one cup)
  • 1 TBSP water
  • 1 TSP kosher salt
Steps
  • Trim the stems off of the chiles, leaving the base that the stem attaches to for added flavor. 
  • Drizzle EVOO to coat peppers. 
  • Grill peppers until you get a nice char. You can also use the broiler. 



    • Puree in blender with enough vinegar to keep them moving. You can also use a food processor.
    • Strain them through a fine sieve, smashing the whole time to get as much of the pulp as possible.

      • Add the water, salt and the rest of the vinegar. 
      • Put in fridge to chill for a few days. It tastes good fresh, too. But, the flavor develops more over time. 
      ---

      Cooks Notes:
      • It will have a watery consistency like Tabasco
      • Each pound of peppers produced about a half pint's (small mason jar) worth of sauce. I made three batches.  
      • We used it on grilled steaks, chicken, and omelets. 
      ---

      When do you enjoy hot sauce with your food?

      No comments: