Monday, July 29, 2013

Meal Planning ~ Week of 7-29-13

Bon Appetit Magazine

I like to grocery shop often to prevent myself from over-buying and throwing out spoiled, unused items. Yes, it is inconvenient. But, this has literally saved me money in recent years. Plus, I stay inspired by fresh ingredients. 

In the past, I used to grocery shop for an entire week's worth or so. But, alas, unexpected events or laziness would arise and I would neglect my food in the fridge. I don't know how much money I wasted by "wishful thinking" shopping.

Additionally, now I only buy ingredients that I have high probability or plans to use in a dish (aside from staples like spices or oil, and fresh fruit).

I am starting to incorporate more organic produce into my diet (which I will share more about in a future post). The organic grocery store is further from me than my go-to market(s), so I will need to buy more per visit. This means that I need to start meal planning, so I can ensure I use all of the products I buy, no mater what they are. 

I literally cook on daily inspiration, so meal planning is going to be a growing experience for me. Here's my first attempt. There are some holes, but at least I am giving myself some structure. In the long run, I hope this will save me stress from coming up with new menu items daily.


Dinner for the Week

  • Sunday - Leftovers from Saturday
  • Monday - Mesquite grilled chicken thighs with BA "7" dry spice rub (picture above)
Organic arugula + caprese salad in lemon/mustard vinaigrette (and roasted sweet potatoes as a snack for tomorrow)


  • Tuesday - oven-roasted organic Portobello mushroom steaks; oven-roasted herb potatoes; sautéed organic kale (with garlic & parmesan cheese)
  • Wednesday - TBD (my husband is working late so it can be as minimalistic as a snack)
  • Thursday - TBD (dine out with a friend or cook something simple at home)
  • Friday - out of town
  • Saturday - out of town


Snacks

  • Fresh blueberries, strawberries, and figs

    • Here's a short video on how I made an easy yet fanciful fruit parfait 

  • Organic plain yogurt
  • Organic Chia seeds in my drinks and lunch salads
  • Organic dark chocolate (gluten-free, too)

How do you like to meal plan?

No comments: